Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

In the time honored tradition of picking out all of the things you don't do well and then publicly promising yourself that from this day forward you will now do them perfectly in order to become the perfect person, I've decided that I too will list my failures and frailties in an attempt to shame myself into being better.

#1 I am going to be organized.  I would say more organized but that would be assuming that I have any organizational skills at all already being employed.  This will be a tough one.  You might think that with my ridiculous obsessive compulsive behaviors this would be easy but you'd be wrong. :)

#2 I am going to be a funner mom.  {Yes I have an English Degree and yes I know that "funner" is not a word but I don't edit your blogs so let it go this time! :)}  I read your blogs and I look at all of the classes, outings, art projects, park days, etc. that you all do with your beautiful children and I feel a little sad for my kids who do none of those things (well maybe not "none" that may be hyperbole.)  But I am going to start.  I know paints are messy, I know play-doh doesn't vacuum out of carpet, I know I am terrified of going out to nice quiet places like libraries with all 4 kiddos but I am going to make an actual effort to do this.

#3 I am going to cook dinner at least 5 nights a week.  My family eats out so much it is absurd!  My children can't drive past McDonalds, Taco Bell or Sonic without asking if "ooo is it time for dinner?"  This hasn't been good for our bank account or our waistlines, so, no more!  I will teach my children to eat at home at the dining room table.  I may be biting off more than I can chew here (pun intended!)

#4 I am going to invite a family over to dinner once a month.  And I will call them on the phone to invite them!  Many of you know that I am TERRIFIED of the phone!  My parents cannot understand this after watching me sit on the phone for hours with boyfriends as a teenager but oh yes, I would rather walk across town in the rain to your house to ask you a question than have to dial the phone and talk to you.  Weird? Yes.  Sorry.

So there they are, my New Year's Resolutions.  Forgive me as I frequently break mine and I swear to never mention any of yours!  Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

Corri Havlicek said...

Great resolutions! You'll do awesome.

{kim} said...

I like your #2. I feel the same way (and it's all Brooke's fault cause she is always doing crafty things with her kids). Good luck with your resolutions!