Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Funk is right Leann!

I don't know what it is, maybe the wind, let's blame it on the nasty wind, but I am in a funk.  This was not in the brochure. At the Motherhood store and Babies 'R' Us and babycenter.com they sell you the idea of the beautiful mother (no body fat, perfect make-up, hair always done, super cute clothes, etc.) and her lovely well dressed, well behaved, impeccably groomed offspring on wonderful day trips to the museum/ library/ craft class/ dance class/ science clubs/ advanced private schools you get the picture.  Then they head home for the tiny tot gourmet meal they so happily and lovingly prepare together in the sparkling gorgeous kitchen (that mom just remodeled herself by the way).  They never show you when the kids dump a box of whales on the carpet and then proceed to crush them down into said carpet and pour the contents of their sippy cups onto said ground crackers to make "indoor mud" :) (ok so that's kind of funny) or how hard it is to get out of your pajamas some days let alone dress the kids in their super cute clean never stained with grape juice outfits. :) And forget leaving the house! Museum/ schmooseum I am just grateful Ethan can ride the bus so I can even get him to and from school from the safety and comfort of my pajamas at home! :D We have had some crazy bad wind here lately and our swingset was one of the casualties.  now it looks like this:

Which makes it really hard to send the kids outside to play even when it isn't 60 mph winds.  So they have been cooped up inside and bored.  And the only things you get when you have two bored 3 year olds and one bored 5 year old are fights and messes!  And that makes for a mom who doesn't get anything accomplished.  Which starts the vicious cycle of too much to do so you don't want to do ANYTHING.  So I am looking to all of you, how do YOU break this cycle and keep from feeling overwhelmed by this "adventure" (wink wink) we call motherhood?  Or if I am the only one living in this CHAOS how do you all avoid it and keep it all so together?

10 comments:

Nat said...

Nobody has this described life if they have children. There are those who would like you to THINK they have it all together, but they also have their moments. (Or days or weeks...) When I am in a mommy funk, I try to plan ONE fun activity a day and then DON'T expect it to go perfectly. That way, when your kids watch TV for the rest of the day and make huge messes, you can still feel like you accomplished something with them. When all else fails, take a walk and send them to my house- and they can join the huge mess going on over here! (:

Life as a Greenstreet said...

Well, I am writing this at 11 p.m. and I am still in my workout clothes (I worked out 12 hours ago) and haven't taken a shower in over 24 hours. It took me 2 hours to clean up the wrath of a mess my kids made in the last hour they were awake....being a mom is hard! I love your usage of CHAOS. For me, it helps to go out or have someone over (every day if at all possible). This solves the not wanting to get dressed thing I have going on sometimes. Plus, if we go out to a park or just for a nice walk the sunshine and fresh air are good for everyone. BUT, in cases where you can't go outside- I let my kids pile up all the pillows and jump off the couch. They love it and think I'm fun and they are darn tired after 30 minutes of it. I find myself getting the most frustrated with life and my kids when I can't get anything done. SO, I change my list- all I have to do today is play hi-ho cherry o and read to my kids....and if I do that-I did a good job. Don't be so hard on yourself....every mommy has those days and weeks. You're doing a good job.
P.S. If nothing else works to help you feel better a shopping trip alone is sure to brighten your spirits.

{kim} said...

Holy crap! I can't believe that happened to your swingset. Sorry you have been having a rough time, but know that you are not alone. Being cooped up sucks so hopefully the weather will improve soon. It can't get any worse, that's for sure.

Corri Havlicek said...

Corie, this is a funny, funny post! I really enjoyed reading it. When we are feeling bored and grouchy we go to walmart and buy some new small toys, like crayons and coloring books, a board game, new t-shirts, or Pillsbury cookie dough to make cookies. Another thing the girls like to do when the wind isn't at gale force is go play at the First Street Parkway. They love those trians. One more thing we do is go to Dairy Queen for ice cream, then drive around town till we are calmed down. Just getting out of the house for a few minutes seems to help...

Treess said...

That swingset issue is a real bummer. I don't know how I got out of my funks, it seemed sometimes like just one big 20 year funk!! But I'll tell you this -- seeing/hearing my grown kids talk and laugh and tell stories together is the most wonderful reward for all those fights and fits. I don't know what I did to get such wonderful kids, or how they turned out to like each other, I don't know. STICK WITH IT--- ONE day, one hour at a time. Looking at the whole picture is just too overwhelming. You're a great mom! And you have a great husband to help.

Michelle said...

One word: TOBLERONE! Ok so I can't use that funk buster anymore. I will let you know when I find another one that works.

The Brimhall's said...

Oh man you are hilarious! I just love you Corie. I don't know a perfect mom. I just try to take it one day at a time. Be proud of the little accomplishments you can make in one day wether that be getting your teeth brushed, controlling your urge to beat your children, or whipping up some boxed mac and cheese. Motherhood is hard and we moms don't give ourselves enough credit. It is a lot to take care of these sweet and sometimes very naughty children. All we can do it get through it. I love you and love your attitude. You are really a great mom. I always need a break to get away from my mommy funk. Plan something fun for yourself or with Greg. You will have something to look forward to and you will be refreshed from a break away from kids.

Susie and Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie and Josh said...

Oh Corie I love to hear that other mom's struggle as I do sometimes! Your a rockin mom! You are very fun, and your kids love you! I know sometimes I get so caught up in what needs to be done around the house or yard or whatever, and forget that my little one's need me! We have had story time, me and autumn every day, she dresses up like a princess and we read a princess story. It is something so simple and yet something she loves so much. Hang in there Corie we will get through this mommy funk!!!

Team Tausinga said...

Hey Corie....I totally know what you mean....I think for me its hard to have such a huge span in age from the big ones to the little one...but my big ones help out so much and you are going to love having them all teenagers....I love my teenagers and even though they fight sometimes, they have a strong bond.....I think sometimes when we get in a fonk and need to get away we go to La Posada and sit in the swing in the back and watch the trains go by, and when the weather is bad its usually Wal Mart to go exploring.....another place that Lipe and Ana spend alot of time at is McDonalds when it is cold....she loves to go there with him and she can play, eat a 99 cent cheeseburger and a 35 cent ice cream cone and she is happy.....hang in there girlie, we need a girls night out....that would be a blast....Oh yeah your pics of the girls are beautiful....keep going, you rock...