Thursday, April 23, 2009

Like Having A Friend In The Business

That is the slogan of Spencer's TV and Appliances.  Sounds great right?  But they don't tell you that it is more like that friend from High School who secretly was always jealous of you and kinda hated you and has just been waiting to exact their revenge! LOL

A little less than 3 years ago we broke ground on our new house ( I still LOVE it!!).  It was a custom build so we got to pick every last thing, except the faucets but that is  another story.  We had always heard what great prices Spencer's had and when Greg was down for a CLE he decided to go in and check it out.  It seemed fantastic so we went in together to order a whole house appliance package.

We looked at EVERY appliance in the store and our salesman was very helpful, or so we thought.  We ended up going $3000 over our budget and paying that out of pocket.  But we had gotten the "top of the line, best buy for our money!"  The salesman even told us about our $1200 Washer that he "had just purchased this exact model for his mother because it is THE best!"

We purchased 6 appliances in all.  Now 2 years after moving in 3 of those are broken.  The main burner on our stove won't heat, the drawer handle on our refrigerator/ freezer is falling off, and the kicker: my washer is locked with the door open so I can't close the door which is quite the problem on a front loader!  Also the main computer panel is fried and the drain pump needs replaced. :S We called GE to see if they could set up a service call and after sitting on hold for 30 minutes I got a recording which told me that "there are no GE service providers near you, please try your local yellow pages."

So Greg called Spencer's to complain that half of the "top of the line" appliances they had sold us were broken in less than 3 years.  Their response was to call a service agent in Pinetop who is going to charge me $150 just to come look at my machine and see what it needs to fix it.  After that and parts and labor and the second $150 service call I could just buy a whole new washer!!

SOME FRIEND!

But on the bright side I DO have an amazing friend who was replacing her washer and dryer because her dryer was broken and she so kindly just gave me her top loader washer.  And you know what?  I LOVE IT!!  I have decided that in my laundry room set up I will NEVER get another front loader because the top loader fits so well and so conveniently!!  So I guess that is a good thing that came out of this story.

Rant over, thanks for listening! :)

4 comments:

The Black Family said...

glad to know I'm not the only one who rants.

Barker said...

I absolutely hate it when things in my house break. And it's usually my pipes in this house which is a huge mess all the time, and everytime I have it 'fixed' 3 months later theres another problem.

I bought a cheep set of hot point washer/dryer when I moved here 3+ years ago and they've been great (knock on wood!) I've been weary about the front loader even though they look cool. I still need to come see your new house! I've only stocked it from the outside.

And thats my rant :)

Criddle said...

wow that is awful I hate Salesmem! but not beans Ha Ha It totally stinks when stuff breaks fown. :(

Susie and Josh said...

Corie I am so sorry, what a time! All the stress involved in building a house, and it never ends! LOL Miss ya! We need to get together!