Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Shoes!


So I got new shoes. Not just any new shoes, new running shoes, for running. Yeah, I know.
You see I made a choice nearly 26 years ago to become friends with Michelle. Little did I know that it would bite me in the butt 26 years later. [In my defense I was 5 and in kindergarten, I didn't know better ;)]

Ok let me clarify, I love my friend Michelle, she has been an amazing, thoughtful, loving, caring, dependable, and FUN friend for the last 25+ years and try as we might, we couldn't get rid of each other. But Michelle did something amazing for herself this year. You see Michelle has always struggled with weight. I mean really struggled not like "ugh these last 15 lbs just won't drop off!" So this spring she had gastric bypass surgery and has lost an entire person! And she is still going. She is like the incredible shrinking woman.

Well before she had the surgery she made me promise to help her through this, to be her support system, the person she is accountable to, and to keep her grounded. I told her I would absolutely do that for her. You see I really wanted her to go through with the surgery, I'm selfish, I didn't want my friend to die. I still need her. Well she has called in that promise.

Michelle wants to run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September.

And she wants me to run with her.

And I said I would.

That is where the new shoes come in, you know the running shoes, for running. We have 193 days to prepare. So I'm gonna get off the computer and my butt and maybe go running, if I am not back in an hour send help. :)

2 comments:

Deirdre Eagar said...

AWESOME! Good for you. I ran all through HS and have been running again the last few years. This past weekend I did a 10K relay with a friend and this next weekend I am doing the Ragnar relay which is a 12 team 24 hour race. Hopefully I'll survive. Good luck on your training!!

The Giles Files said...

Good luck! I can't wait to get back into shape to the point where I can actually run without breaking something. You guys inspire me!