Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Heart Winslow!



We are a tiny little town, no movie theaters, shopping is Wal-Mart, no big chain restaurants besides fast food and Denny's, we aren't green and lush, we don't have a community center with classes and such and our parks are small at best.  Despite all of these cons, I love living in Winslow.

I grew up here and I had an amazing time doing it.  I went to elementary school, Jr. High, and High School here and was able to go through all of that with the same people and thereby develop friendships that still exist today.  I received a great education, went on to college and did well, graduating with honors from my university.  So did my brothers. One graduated from ASU and the other is a graduate of The United States Air Force Academy.  We are the first generation in our family to go to college.

While growing up in Winslow I learned to play the piano, the violin, the cello, and the bass.  I took voice lessons and dance lessons.  I was involved in several plays and competed in both speech and drama.  I was able to participate in the sports programs in Winslow.  I played soccer, basketball, volleyball, and was on the track team.  I was a cheerleader, THE Bulldog ;), and a photographer for the yearbook thanks to my friend who happened to be the editor.  Every guy and several of the girls I grew up with served honorable missions.  I am still friends with the people I played with in Primary, whose families and mine got together almost every Sunday for games and ice cream.  I still look at their parents and know that if I ever needed anything I could ask Marshall, Curtis, Gary, Loren, Kathy, Charlie, Joe, Gene, Jeff, etc., etc., and they would help me.  Because they are that kind of people.  And that, right there, is why I love Winslow.

Now that I am the parent I am excited for my kids to have the foundation that I was blessed to have growing up here.  Now we are the ones who invite others over for games and food, trying to develop those kinds of life long bonds that are formed in a small town where you have to interact with each other to be entertained.  We have amazing friends here.  We have wonderful family here.

Our kids have had teachers who have gone above and beyond to provide all that they can for my children.  Our kids' school principals know every kid in their school by first name and make a point to interact with each kid daily.

Are there downsides to Winslow?  Absolutely.  But I have yet to find a place that didn't have its cons.  My husband has a job where we could live anywhere in the state and probably make more money there too.  But we will not leave Winslow, by choice.  I love the security of being surrounded by family and friends who feel like family.  That is why I Heart Winslow. :)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

AMEN! Well said. BRAVO.. ..you catch my drift.

{kim} said...

Winslow is the bomb!

Brooke said...

I had a great experience with friends I made in Winslow- and whenever we come visit I always leave thinking it would be SO great to live in a small town like that....but I think I've been out too long. I don't think I can live without Target, malls, museums and most of all I could never ever ever live with only WalMart. You guys are all the bomb- it's awesome there and I'm sure in 25 years one of your girls will be writing a post just like this one!

The Giles Files said...

You are making me homesick!

Winslow was a great place to grow up. So many good memories. It will always be my hometown, and as I say where I grew up in, I always say it with pride.

Although, I am pretty much in love with living in Boise. ;)

Stephanie said...

I agree...I've even converted my Joe City-ite. He loves it too!

{larissa} said...

well said Corie!
I love everything about Winslow!!!!