Monday, May 2, 2011

I have something to say!

I think we have too much access to public forums.  We are way too able to express our thoughts and opinions for everyone to read, comment on and either hate or defend.  The irony that I am using my own personal public forum to express this opinion is not lost on me.

But here is something I have to get off my chest:

Last night some U.S. Navy Seals flew into Pakistan on a helicopter to take out the mass murderer and terrorist leader Osama Bin Laden.  The helicopter they flew in on malfunctioned outside of the compound and they were forced to land.  They tried to figure out the problem with the helicopter unsuccessfully.  They chose to continue with the mission knowing that there was a chance they would be unable to leave due to the faulty helicopter.  They stormed the compound and killed this evil man and took custody of his body.  After confirmation was made that it was, in fact, the man responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands and all of the necessary documentation was created, he was buried at sea as soon as possible according to his muslim tradition that burial be done as swiftly as possible.

Yep that happened, and while I don't wish for someone else to suffer or die I am unbelievably grateful that an evil destructive cancer has been removed from this world, making life a little bit safer for all of the other inhabitants of the earth.

What disturbs me is all of the blog posts, Twitter feeds, Facebook status updates, Facebook comments, Twitter responses, blog comments, etc., that have villianized our U.S. military and the methods used to eradicate this very real and dangerous threat.  Think that Obama took too much credit? Not enough credit?  Think he thanked the troops enough?  Not enough thanks?  Believe that this has become a political posturing platform?  Believe that it has nothing to do with upcoming elections?  I really don't care!!  But I have seen literally dozens of posts and comments calling our military men and women "barbaric," "heartless," and even flat out "evil!"  These men and women and their families sacrifice so much to defend our liberties and offer those liberties to those who might want them, let's not take away their dignity as well.

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said!!

The Giles Files said...

I have been thinking the same thing! I had to quit reading stuff because I got too mad. Then I had to remember that the brothers and sisters of the military are sacrificing time, safety, family and their very lives to ensure that people can say what they want, freely. While I don't care for the negative things these idiots say about our military, I think it's beautiful that we all have our freedom, including speech because of our armed forces. In a way, I think the troops get the final say ;)

Unknown said...

Beautifully and powerfully put, Corie.