Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mormon Cocaine





Ashby asked me to post the recipe for the sweet chex mix on my blog.We were talking about how that stuff is so addictive and she called it "Mormon Cocaine" so here is the recipe I learned from Crystal and Susie:

Ingredients:
6 cups Rice Chex® cereal
6 cups Corn Chex® cereal
6 cups Chocolate Chex® cereal
1 small pkg. sliced almonds or pecans (greg loves pecans)
1/4 to 1/2 package of shredded coconut (really as much as YOU like)

2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups candy-coated chocolate candies

Preparation Directions:
1. Heat oven to 250°F. Spray large roasting pan with cooking spray. (It will not fit in a 13 x 9 pan.) Measure cereals, coconut, and nuts into pan.
2. In 3-quart saucepan, stir together brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. (It helps to put the butter in by itself until it is mostly melted and then add the sugar and corn syrup.) Cook and stir 8 to 9 minutes over medium-high heat until mixture heats to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda. (I like to use a whisk to mix in the baking soda so the caramel gets really fluffy.) Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 - 15 minutes, until coating is set. Dump warm Chex® mix onto press and seal or wax paper set on your counter or table. Crystal and Susie like to add M&M's® to their Chex® mix but I like to skip them.

So that is it. One batch will will make enough to fill 2 and 1/2 one gallon Ziploc® bags. Now get in there and make some, everyone at your house will love you for it! :)

3 comments:

Ashby said...

YUM! I'm making it right now!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Corri Havlicek said...

SO glad you posted this! I was going to ask you to do the exact same thing. I'm glad I had to leave the party early or I'd have eaten the whole batch!

Stephanie said...

I don't have your email, send me your email and I'll send you an invite.