Friday, December 12, 2008

Kids can be so mean!

Isn't it true? I am so tired of mean kids. My son Ethan has Asperger's Syndrome which is a mild high functioning form of autism in which their social interactions are what suffer. For a better description check out this previous post here.  My son is one of the sweetest most trusting kids I know.  He loves anything to do with technology and because he doesn't know when he is getting annoying he can go on and on about the same thing for way too long.  Well the other day at school Ethan had been going on and on about computers and telling these two boys (who he says are his best friends in his class) that to find his favorite files you go to c:/computer/mydocuments/myfavorites.  These two "friends" started laughing and told him "uh c:/ you're a dork!"  and ran away laughing!  I asked Ethan what he plays with these two when they play and he said "well I try to talk to them but they always just ignore me when I talk."  And these are the kids he thinks are his best friends.  In fact when he said they called him a dork Greg and I asked if he told the teacher and he said "no they are my best friends, it would be mean to get them in trouble."  We told him that he needs to tell the teacher because that is bullying and if they don't get told to stop they will bully more kids and his answer was, "no they aren't bullies, they only make fun of me so it is ok, I don't want to get them in trouble."  It breaks my heart that these are the only kids he thinks are his friends and they are so mean to him and he protects them for it!  I wish I could find some nice boys who will play with him and understand him.  Any advice?

1 comment:

Life as a Greenstreet said...

So sad! That would break my heart too. As my kids aren't old enough to venture out to children without my supervision I don't have any REAL advice here. The only things I would do is find other activities for him outside of school where he will be surely interacting with other children besides them....
I'd probably also just do my best to let him know he's not a dork (which I'm sure you do) I think that self confidence can take kids really far. They won't be affected by what other people say if they feel good enough about themselves....like water off a ducks back.

Good luck...that's a tough one.